Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Week 4


Hello!!
This week has gone by faster than any other week!  On Tuesday, we went to the temple and then had dinner, followed by choir practice!  Choir practice is one of the highlights of my week!  We sang a song called "Hurrah for Israel" and it stems from the movie "The Other Side of Heaven."  It was the saying everyone used in the movie to show that even in the hardest times, they were doing what the Lord wanted!  The director showed us a couple of clips from the movie, and that was quite the treat!  I want to watch the whole thing!  I guess we can add it to the list of movies to watch when I get home.  But you should all watch it!  Because it's inspirational and based on a true story!  Elder Hallstrom from the Presidency of the 70 came to speak that night.  He spoke about the importance of humility and obedience.  And he said that he has been to every country that has missionaries, and that made me smile!  Not many people can say that!  Especially since there are over 400 missions in the world! :)
Wednesday was fun because we hosted new missionaries again!  I hosted 3 sisters this week!  They were all so nice and excited to get to work.  One is headed to Japan, another to Pennsylvania, and the third is going to Salt Lake City!  It is amazing to be on a campus where people are going all over the world speaking almost every language to share happiness with people!  
Thursday started with service.  We cleaned the sinks and mirrors in the women's residence hall.  Service makes the time fly, and it's fun to have something mundane to do! :) No thought required! :)  Then we had class and talked about the story in Matthew 14:24-31 where Peter gets the opportunity to walk on the water.  He begins to sink, but Christ showed mercy on him and helped him not to sink.  I likened it to myself.  I have been called on, by the Savior, to do something I thought would be impossible.  Sometimes doubt can creep in and make me feel like it really is impossible.  But Christ is closer than I think, and if I reach out to Him in faith, He lifts me every single time.  He never fails me.  Or anyone!  Thursday was also unique because my teacher's boss asked Sister Hansen and me to teach him a lesson in English as he pretended to be a Mongolian 21 year old.  We were able to teach a really heartfelt lesson that God loves him.  We sang to him and the Spirit was strong.  It made me so excited to learn Mongolian so that I can express my feelings of love to those in Mongolia.  
Friday was uneventful.  But I got a package from Mom (thank you!!)!  I missed Becca's play, but I know she did well!  
Saturday was Sister Guild's birthday!  We sang and celebrated!  I passed around a card for our whole zone to sign, just like we did at Scott Elementary!  It turned out super cute, and it got EVERYONE saying "happy birthday" to her! :)  After the day of classes, the sisters gathered for a small potluck to celebrate the Thais (Missionaries going to Thailand) in our group.  They all left on Monday at 3am, so it was good to see them again!  We had TONS of sweets and lots of laughs.  We made it to bed on time, too! :)
Sunday was bittersweet because Sunday is AWESOME always, but it was the Thai's last day.  We have become a little family, and it's so sad to see them go.  They did a special number in sacrament meeting, and they sang “God Be With You Til We Meet Again”.  Many tears were shed, but we are so proud of them!  We had a really fun temple walk and took some last pictures.  Choir was fun.  We are singing Precious Savior, Dear Redeemer this week.  It is absolutely beautiful.  Brother Richardson, from BYU, came to speak at the Sunday Devotional.  He talked about what it means to be a REAL missionary.  Afterward, we watched the pioneer movie, Legacy, about the Mormon Trek westward.  Our zone gathered together in our hallway after the movie.  The Thais were getting their last things from their classroom, and we all stood together and sang God Be With You Til We Meet Again one last time.  There is a Hawaiian in the group, and he sang Aloha Oi.  Most everyone cried, but only because we will miss them so much!  We know that they will be amazing out there!
Monday was a little weird without the Thais, but the MTC had Subway catered for dinner, so that was nice!  We had class and learned more Mongolian, but it was pretty uneventful. 
I have been playing volleyball every day!  Still getting better! :)  I met someone going to Pennsylvania, and he got here on Wednesday.  I told him about Dixie Barton's nephew serving there, and then the elder said that her nephew was probably in the huge snowstorm! I laughed and said, "well probably, but being at the MTC is like being under a rock, so I had no idea it happened at all!"  And that basically sums up my life! :) But it's a good life! :)  I hear everyone is getting snowed in at home!  Enjoy those days off!  It's been snowing here, but we are hardly outside, so I can't really tell what the weather is doing.  
Other than that, life is really good!  I have so many great friends, and we are helping each other through! :)  
Love you all!

Sister Bottorf
f


Sister Bottorff and Sister Olsen in matching hats.

The Sisters with Elder Torres and Elder Fukino.
Elder Torres has a Polaroid Camera!

0 comments:

Post a Comment