Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Week 6: Miracles Happen!


Hello!
This week has been great!  I have seen miracles and my faith has grown!  
On Tuesday, I went to the temple and then to choir practice.  We sang "Be Still My Soul" and it sounded angelic.  I am so blessed to be able to sing in the choir each week!  The devotional speaker was Elder Dube from South Africa.  He spoke and the Spirit was strong!  I took from it that I am so blessed to be one of the 75,000 missionaries in the world!  This is such a unique opportunity, and I need to enjoy every moment!
Wednesday was a good day!  I had class and played volleyball and had class and ate and had class.....it's a great life.  Our teacher challenged us to learn Joseph Smith's First Vision in Mongolian.  It's about 2 verses long, and I have been working on it!  He challenged us to have it memorized in 7 days!  It was a leap of faith to commit because it is long and challenging, but I know I can do it!  If I have learned nothing else while being at the MTC, I've learned that without God's help I can do NOTHING, but with His help, I can do anything!
Thursday was great!  It started with service, which happened to be sweeping and mopping bathrooms again!  Only this time, Sister Hansen and I were much more efficient, and we finished with enough time to vacuum the entrance!   Then, we got changed super fast and headed over to the main building.  Sister Hansen and I decided to audition to sing a special musical number at a devotional.  So we auditioned, and it happened to be in a conference room with only us and the three wives of the MTC presidency.  They are kind of like celebrities here, so it was pretty exciting.  The audition went well, so I'll keep you posted and let you know if I end up singing at a devotional!  After the audition, we had class as usual.  I scored 2 points in volleyball!  I'm pretty excited about it.  :)
On Friday, we had to plan 5 lessons in 2 hours.  But it went well, and luckily I have some outlines from previous lessons to draw from.  We taught 2 lessons that went really well.  We are teaching another companionship in our class, and sometimes it's hard not to laugh.  I mean, we don't really speak Mongolian, and neither do they, so when we are sharing something and they don't understand, we just basically try not to laugh.  There's a teacher in the room watching, so it would be bad to laugh.  We hold it in until we leave. hahahaha
Saturday was awesome because I got packages!  And I LOVED them!  Thank you!!!  We also taught TRC and it went really well!  I usually teach other returned missionaries who served in Mongolia, and if we're lucky, they share a personal experience from Mongolia at the end! :)  
Valentines day was packed with LOVE!  I opened cards from my family and Sister Hansen and I performed our song in Sacrament Meeting.  We skipped the temple walk because the weather was bad and we weren't feeling great, but we watched Mormon Messages, which inspire me and make me feel so happy!  Choir was amazing, as usual, and we started singing Nearer My God To Thee, and learned the story of Jacob and Esau and Jacob's ladder.  It never clicked that the song is basically that story!  Look it up in Genesis if you get the chance!  And then look up the song (with all the verses) and you'll feel uplifted!  The devotional speaker brought his son and sidekick, Russell, who is probably about 12.  He has Down Syndrome, and he's super cute!  He got up and shared his testimony, which was so pure.  It went like this, "I know Christ lives.  I know missionaries are important because they help me.  I'm grateful that my dad gets to travel to your missions for his job because he brings back gifts for me.  I know the church is true."  I was so happy!  The speaker, his dad, did a great job, and he brought up two missionaries from the congregation to share their stories about converting to the LDS church.  It was really amazing to see how the Gospel of Jesus Christ changed their lives.  
Yesterday was miraculous because I woke up with a cold coming on.  I felt like I just needed to sleep it off.  But I tried my hardest to work through it, and after prayers and some medicine, and a quick nap during gym time, I seriously felt like a new person!  I had no more symptoms of a cold, and I was able to go through the rest of the day feeling normal!  Miracles happen, and I know that God is watching out for me!  I also taught a lesson last night overs Skype.  We are going to start Skyping to teach people in Mongolia!  The person we taught wasn't in Mongolia because there weren't enough people who signed up, but the lesson was great, despite technical difficulties.  I'm just so excited to be a part of this great work!  I'm learning so much!  
Other than that, things are great!  The language is coming line upon line.  I have the first vision almost completely memorized!  We are doing a test tomorrow.  Our teacher will take us in the hallway, one by one, and we will recite it!  I have about 5 words left to memorize.  After that I just need to solidify my fluency of saying it.  See?  Miracles really do happen!  They happen every single day!  
I hope everyone is doing well!  I love you all!!
Sister Bottorff
Sister Bottorff and the Temple.

Sister Bottorff and Sister Hansen at the Temple.

"I found a smiley face in the scriptures! :) Scriptures make me happy! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment