Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Week 16: Another Beautiful Week in Mongolia


Hey! 
I'm loving Mongolia!  I can't believe it's been another week!  Time flies when you're having fun and working hard!
Monday, I went to the zah (kinda like "sock" with a z) for the first time.  It's a black market full of food and clothes and household goods.  It reminded me of China and Fiji.  I love black markets!  I bought a cute pair of boots!  And now my feet are warm!  We also did our grocery shopping there.  It's a great place to buy just about everything!  And it's great for our missionary budget! :)  Then, we went home and cooked breaded chicken and mashed potatoes and buttery carrots for dinner.  It tasted like home! :) 
On Tuesday, all the new missionaries had some more training.  We got a mission cookbook, learned how to budget our money, and went over being obedient to mission rules and living by the Spirit.  Afterward, Sister Guild, Sister Bennett, Sister Wilkins and I went to lunch before heading to our English interviews.  We ate Russian food called Piroshki and then got some cake because we wanted some.  :)  Then, we went to the Medical University and conducted about 70 interviews as a companionship while the other sisters conducted another 70 or so.  We asked "getting to know you" questions to see where they stood with their English skills.  The people seem great, and I can't wait to work with them! 
Wednesday was a day of rest.  Sister Wilkins wasn't feeling well, so we stayed inside.  I studied like crazy all day long.  And it was actually really good!  I was exhausted by the end of the day!  I made muffins from our cookbook.  They weren't bad, but we now call them "mediocre muffins" haha.  That night, I called two of our investigators and talked with them in Mongolian!  I felt cool, and the investigators had no idea they were on speaker phone and that Sister Wilkins was totally feeding me my lines. hahaha 
On Thursday, I had a meeting with the Mission President.  It was good to talk to him.  He gave me some great advice about studying and teaching people.  Then, after studies and lunch, Sister Wilkins and I met with a new member.  She lives at the top of a beautiful mountain and her view is breathtaking.  It overlooks the city.  I feel like I'm in a painting when I look over the hillsides and see gers and the cityscape in the background.  We taught her a lesson and then had to head out.  She walked us down the mountain until she saw her little sister (about 10 years younger than her) coming up from school.  They hugged and walked arm in arm.  It reminded me of picking up Becca from school! :)  Then, we met a family who is learning about the Church.  We had a great talk with them and shared a scripture.  The Spirit was really strong, and I was able to bear my testimony to them. 
Friday was really fun because we planned and then headed to a member's house.  She made me a beautiful scripture case! :)  And I shared a lesson with her.  And she fed us some great soup!  And then she took us to see her neighbor who is having a difficult time.  We shared a scripture with her and asked to come back and see her.  I look forward to meeting with her again and helping her more.  She seems like a wonderful lady! :)  Then, we went to a lesson for three young girls who just joined the church.  They are adorable! 
Saturday we had a meeting with an investigator and it went really well.  Then, we had a district meeting and talked about having and developing Christlike attributes like charity and faith and hope and diligence.  It is always good to review! :)  Afterward, we went to the church building, by bus, to see women's conference!  We met some super cute 11 year old girls on the bus.  We practiced English with them and invited them to English class!  Women's conference was amazing!  I LOVED the part when one of the speakers told us to put down the mirrors and start looking through windows.  I need to do that more.  I am trying to look through windows and help other people instead of looking in mirrors and making the world revolve around me. 
Yesterday, at church, I didn't understand much, but I got to talk with some more people and set up appointments to meet with them this week! 
This week is going to be even better than last week!  I can't believe tomorrow is my MONTH mark in Mongolia!  Where has the time gone??  I am so blessed!  I pinch myself every day!  It's like I'm living in a dream! :) 
I love you all and hope you are healthy and happy! :)
Love,
Sister Bottorff
"My new scripture case!"
"Home cookin'! :) The perks of a Southern companion! :)"
"Our cute little friends from the bus!"
"Our church building!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment