Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Week 23 - God is in charge!

So this week was crazy!  It started out normal, though...

On Monday, Sister Wilkins and I met up with Sister Guild and Sister Bennett after a quick trip to KFC and went to the Buddhist Temple.  It was really pretty.  Lots of green trees and warm weather.  It was really really fun.  We even fed some birds! :)  That night, Sister Guild and I went and taught a lesson in English to a family from Africa.  They are super nice, and we taught about the Plan of Salvation.  I love the Plan of Salvation!  It brings me so much peace! 

Tuesday was our last day of English for the school year.  So we naturally had a party. And people brought all sorts of fun things to share! :)  I love being a teacher! :)  After English, we met with a new member, and the Spirit was so strong.  It made me feel so happy to be there.  

Wednesday was Children's Day!  It's a national holiday to celebrate children.  Every parking lot had tents set up with games and fun things to do.  We met up with a member in the ward and got to see the main square for a few minutes.  It was awesome!  Then, we had a lesson with a family about the Plan of Salvation.  It was a really good lesson!  And then we went to the main church building so that Sister Wilkins and Sister Bennett could plan for zone conference.  And that's when things got crazy.  I was minding my own business and talking with Sister Guild and translating things in the mission office when President Benson walked in. He said, "Pack your bags, Sister."  I didn't know who he was talking to.  Or if he was joking.  But he was serious.  He told me I'd be on a plane to a tiny town called Khovd.  And that my new companion was Mongolian.  (She speaks English and she's seriously so great!)  But I was so shocked.  Talk about not seeing THAT coming!!!  I cried and went home to pack.

On Thursday, I went to zone conference.  I met my companion for the first time and tried to concentrate.  I was so nervous!  And I found out I'd fly out first thing the next day.  I got my passport from the mission office and after zone conference I went home to pack.  I packed as fast as I could and cried, too.  I was so sad to be leaving my ward and companion!  :(  I went back to the church and picked up my new companion and dropped off Sister Wilkins.  And then went home to sleep.

We woke up at 4:30 on Friday morning and flew out at 6:30. We were on the plane for 3 hours.  And then I got to Khovd.  It's so little!  There is a tiny little town.  We tried to get settled and did some studies and bought some groceries.  Then, we went over to the Branch President's house so I could meet him.  And he welcomed me to the city.  He so generously brought out a platter piled full of every type of inside from a sheep.  And I tried so hard to try everything.  So I have officially eaten heart, lung, liver, kidney, and stomach.  I couldn't bring myself to try the intestine..... but I'd say I did a good job.  I gave myself a pat on the back.  

On Saturday, we had branch conference.  We had a meeting at the church, then cleaned the outside, and then piled in an old Russian bus and headed off to the river.  It was the most beautiful day.  And I loved it so much!  They cooked a sheep and everyone played in the sun.  And they taught little lessons to the members.  It was so wonderful!  The sky was so big.  And there were eagles and beautiful birds flying around.  And cows and goats and sheep.  So picturesque and Mongolian.  I may have gotten a little sunburned...

Yesterday was church, and even though I missed my investigator's baptism in Ulaanbaatar, church was really good.  And I love the people already.  And the mission President's counselor was in town, so he interviewed me.  He said that President Benson is so glad I'm here.  And that I have a great work to do here.  Things I needed to hear.  Then we went home and studied and I felt pretty sick.  So we didn't teach.  We just kept studying and getting things done around the house.

Today the water has been out all day, but it's been good.  I'm excited to get more settled here.  I know that this is where God wants me, even if I don't know why yet.  I'm here to do whatever God wants, wherever He wants me to go.  It's not about what I want.  So I'm trying to let go of myself and just serve.

Love you all!


Sister Bottorff












0 comments:

Post a Comment