Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Week 26 - Goats, pizza, great service, and a cool museum!

The time is flying here!!  Elections are exciting, and there are signs everywhere.  And people visiting every house from every party.  It's so busy!  And I'm honestly looking forward to it being over.  But at the same time, it's really cool to see how excited people are to vote!!  It's [the weather] also been pretty cool.  Surprisingly so.  It's been rainy at nights, which makes for cooler mornings.  Thank goodness.  The only downside is the battle I have with the mosquitoes every day.  It's seriously a war.  My companion and I hit them off each other every few minutes.  And I look like I had an air-soft war.  The battle rages on....

On Monday, we checked out the Hovd museum!  We saw all sorts of fun animals and traditional clothing and fun artifacts from who knows when.  And it was a great time!  We also shopped and got stuff done around the apartment, so I felt rested and happy afterward.  We had a really cool Family Home Evening activity with the young single adults.  Well, only 2 came, but it was really good.  We talked about wearing the armor of God.  And it made everyone want to be better and stronger.  

On Tuesday we made a map of Hovd.  I can't seem to find any maps around here, and I need one to learn my way around.  Also, we were a little nervous because a really big transfer was happening on Wednesday, and I didn't want to be left alone in Hovd with a new companion and not know my way around.  Don't worry!  I'm still with my companion even though most of the missionaries got switched around! :)  Then, we taught a member how to make some American food.  We made pizza and shared a lesson!  They loved it!!  And so did I!  And then we had a district meeting.  It was really fun because we had 2 districts there, so I got to see lots of sisters in UB!  It made me happy to see them!  We finished the night with a visit to a little grandma and another lesson after that.  Life is good and busy!

Wednesday was fun because we made Xuushuur and buuz.  I struggled making them look pretty, but my companion is really good, and they tasted so good!  The xuushuur had beef and the buuz had goat meat.  Delicious!  Then, we did service with our investigator.  She owns a second hand shoe shop, and she needed help making the new shipment of shoes pretty.  We stuffed shoes with paper and plastic and cardboard to make them look pretty! :)  I loved serving!  Then we had another few lessons.  Then we visited a sister in the ward who just had a baby.  We brought her the traditional cookies and juice.  And then they said they were going to name their baby that night!  Mongolians have a really cool ceremony to name their baby!  So everyone puts a name idea on a slip of paper.  They roll it up tightly and put it in a bowl.  Then they put rice on top of the names.  And then they shake the bowl until a name surfaces.  This couple did the first 3 and decided on one.  Then, they pick the name and whisper it in the baby's ear 3 times.  Super cool!!!  

On Thursday we visited a bunch of people!  We taught some and just dropped by to see other people.  And it was super-hot and the mosquitoes were really bad.  But we made it through and I'm a survivor.  

Friday we planned for the week. And I made cookies.  Because nobody should have to plan for the upcoming week for hours without treats.  It's a rule.  After planning we taught and visited people and found a puppy!  Like a day old puppy.  That fit in my palm.  Literally.  So cute.  And I ate buuz for dinner at a member's house.  They taught me a different way to make them pretty!  So I'm excited.  And the inside was stomach.  Yup.  Sheep stomach all ground up.  Nice.  And God helped me eat them.  So many blessings! :)

On Saturday we cleaned the church building with the relief society sisters.  We scrubbed walls and doors and chairs and floors and bathrooms.  The church looked so good!  And then we went to a member's house who lives about 5 minutes outside of town.  And they own 600 goats.  And it's such a beautiful place.  And we milked the goats!  They corralled them, got the 450 males out of the corral, and lined up the females.  They tied them up and started down the line.  They milked them, and I tried.  By the end I was kinda getting the hang of it.  I'm clearly not a farm girl...but I had so much fun!  

Yesterday at church, the branch president’s counselor got up and announced that I was on the program!  So I had no time and had to give a talk!  Ahhh!! And I did it!  Well I prayed a TON first, and took a deep breath and did it.  And I wasn't anywhere near perfect.  But that's ok.  We also had 3 girls just walk into church because they want to check it out.  We will meet with them this week.  And a girl from Unur came for a visit to Hovd with her friend, so I got to see her!  It's not very often I see familiar faces! :)  The rest of the day was spent studying and visiting.  

I love being a missionary!  I'm learning so much and trying to help people as much as I can!  I love that as I give more of myself, the Lord gives me more than I can receive.  I feel so blessed!  Love you all!


Sister Bottorff


A fun museum exhibit

A mask carved from stone

Sharing pizza with a wonderful family

This is buzz...

and Xuushuur

Lots of goats!

Milking them is not as easy as it looks!


0 comments:

Post a Comment