Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Week 35 - Back to Ulaanbaatar!

Well this week has been a wild and crazy ride!  I'll start from the beginning.

Monday was crazy to say the least.  We wanted to meet everyone one last time before leaving Tuesday morning, so we made the rounds.  10 houses.  And I felt so exhausted at the end of the day.  And so stuffed silly.  Everyone made us dinner.  So we had more food than we could eat.  And we still ate it. It tasted so good but I don't think I've been that full at any Thanksgiving dinner.  I'm feeling a little sick just thinking about how full I was that night. Ha  But it was so good to see everyone.  And talk and take pictures.  We had a blast.  

Tuesday we went to UB.  I kid you not, the flight took forreevverrrr.  Well it took the 3 hours, but it felt like forever because I was so excited.  I felt like I was in a movie when I got off the plane and into the taxi.  I rolled down my window and couldn't stop smiling.  I felt like I was home.  I met up with other missionaries.  We went to the main church building and took care of some stuff, had an interview with the new mission president, who is amazing, and then went to KFC with Sister Kofed and Sister Nelson.  It was the best day!  I seriously love being back!

On Wednesday we got the transfer call.  At 2 pm.  We were holding our breath for the call all morning and during lunch, but it didn't come until 2.  My companion and I ate at the Cinnabon for lunch!  Hello, heaven!  Then at 2 I found out my new area and companion!  Sister Guild, from my MTC group, and we are both brand new missionaries in the biggest ward, area-wise, in all of UB.  I can't believe it.  We don't know Mongolian!  Ahhh!! But we have a third companion for the next week!  Sister Namyyn is a visa waiter who is going to Idaho on her mission.  She leaves next week probably and without her I'd probably die.  I don't know what we will do when she leaves, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.  We didn't really do the transfer on Wednesday because things were so crazy.  Sister Guild was coming back from the countryside all day.  So I helped other sister missionaries move, and it was super fun!  

Thursday was also crazy.  We helped Sister Nelson move and went to a visa meeting for my Mongolian companion and then went through the records of everyone in the ward.  Oh. My. Gosh.  This is going to be a big task.  So many people to learn and the ward boundaries are huge.  We will be on buses for at least an hour each way every day.  My head hurt a little at the end of the day.

I loved Friday because the Sister who was serving in this ward took us out and showed us some of the houses.  The boundaries basically go out into the countryside.  It was so green and beautiful.  It's crazy to be in the countryside and the city at the same time.  I love it!  Then, we went back to the city center and I picked up a PACKAGE!  Thanks, family!  And the Hendershots!  I got to talk to them for about 2 minutes and then we all had to go.  But it was so stinking fun!  And I LOVE my package!  It came at a great time, too!  This is a liiiitttlllleee stressful...haha

On Saturday we started the real work.  We called some members and met with them.  They were the very first church members in Mongolia!  And they are so awesome!  They made some great food and we talked and got to know each other.  They showed us to their neighbor who is also a church member, so we got to know them, too.  As we made our way back to the city, we met with an investigator, who is awesome!  I look forward to going back and getting to know her better!  I just loved getting out and meeting the people.  


Yesterday was good!  We went to church and met everyone.  I understood almost nothing.  This is going to be crazy.  I'm trying not to think about what it will be like when our Mongolian companion leaves.  My language is not up to par!  But it will work out.  We had a really great meeting yesterday night, though!  We met with a ward member, which was so cool!  We taught a lesson about choice and then she brought her neighbor over.  The neighbor is really interested, and she wants us to teach her family of 7 about the Gospel!  This week we will meet her!  I'm so excited!  

So basically this week has been a whirlwind.  Being with someone in my MTC group is gonna be crazy.  I love her, though! So that's a plus!  If nothing else we will at least have fun together! :)  I read in Matthew 15 yesterday, and it helped me a lot.  Jesus was about to teach the 5000 and he asked if they had food to feed everyone.  I just pictured the disciples pulling Him aside and saying, "well, see, there's not enough. Like not even close.  We only have 7 loaves and 3 fishes......."  And then I can just see Christ saying, "Stop worrying!  You can't feed them on your own, but with MY help, you can feed everyone!"  And in verse 37 it said they fed everyone until they were FULL and THEN had 7 extra BASKETS of bread.  And that's how I'm feeling right now.  I'm trying to go from the, "well, see, my Mongolian isn't good.  And the area is huge.  And my companion and I are SO inexperienced" phase to hearing Him say, "with MY help, you will be able to accomplish all of this and MORE."  I know that with Christ I can do all things.  Even this.  And I don't have to be perfect because if I do my best, Christ will make up the difference and leave a surplus of blessings that can't be received. 

So in all of this, I just think that this will stretch me.  But everyone keeps saying there's no growth in a comfort zone and no comfort in a growth zone.  So here's to some great growth!  Bayanzurkh ward, here I come! :)

Love, 

Sister Bottorff


There was a young sister who leapt near a shoe...

Getting on the plane to Ulaanbaatar

A Mongolian mountainside - I'll miss Hovd

Wow! Cinnabon! What else can I say?

Fall sunflowers - beautiful :)

It was so great to see the Hendershots! Thank you!


0 comments:

Post a Comment