Friday, June 9, 2017

Week 75 - Lots of really hairy cows!

The hike we did last week was definitely in Mongolia.  How do I know?  Because I SAW YAKS! My mission goals are all coming to fruition, and it is making me so happy.  Yaks are basically really hairy cows, and I'm in love.  They are adorable.  Watching them roam the beautiful hillsides of Mongolia was a dream come true.  The hike was amazing.  We climbed-ish a tree and ate PB&Js and my companion made friends with people on the bus who were wearing the same Russian navy shirts.  All the cool kids wear them.  We ended the day at the church building to teach English class.  After all this time here, nobody can come to a consensus as to how Chingiis Khaan died.  Maybe someone someday will have the final answer.  But as for now, the mystery remains.

MLC (mission leadership conference) was this week!  It was so uplifting and happy.  We talked about language learning, which is an interesting topic at this point in my mission.  I'm definitely NOT where I thought I'd be with the language by now, but I always want to keep learning.  Language learning is not one of my strong points, but I have also learned that language learning requires immense gratitude and love.  Without those two things, there is no point in learning anything.  No motivation.  Just disappointment and discouragement and frustration.  Gratitude is essential because I've come SO far.  And without gratitude, I just focus on how far I haven't come.  Love is important because it reminds me why I'm learning at all.  And it keeps me focused on the people.  Because that's what it's all about.

Thursday was Children's Day!  And it was so happy! :)  It's the day where everyone honors children.  The big city square was packed with vendors and children and cotton candy stands and joy.  All the kids wear brand new clothes, and literally everyone is happy.  Well, then about 6 pm hits and the kids realize that their day has been jam packed with candy and sun and playing, so they all kinda crash.  But even that is pretty fun to watch! :)  I was taking a picture of my companion when a little girl, probably 8 years old, walked up and stared with an open mouth.  She asked if I was Mongolian or foreign.  I said I was foreign.  From America.  She got so excited and ran away.  About 5 minutes later, she asked if I would take a picture with her.  I did on my camera! :)  Then, she ran away again and jumped up and down while she pointed at me and told her mom that she took a picture with an American.  I love children's day! :)

On Friday we attended a little dance performance for a girl in the ward.  She was so excited that the MISSIONARIES came.  And I was so happy we could support her.  Also, her grandma helped with Mongolian religious freedom.  Here is a super awesome thing you can read with her story under the 2nd roman numeral! http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/religious-freedom

We did a cooking show with our relief society.  They wanted to watch us make a chocolate cake, so we made one at the front of the room.  The sisters watched carefully and took notes.  I love them so much.  They are so kind and patient and loving.  The cake turned out great!  Everyone won! :)

Life is so good!  I've been so blessed with an abundantly rich mission.  So many miracles happen every day, and God has so graciously allowed me to be a part of it.  


Love you all!

Sister Bottorff


See? Lots of hairy cows!

Children's Day - What a fun day!

Chinggis Khan - well, at least a statue of him

I love the children here!

Ya gotta love cotton candy!

Us on a hillside in the mountains - like in Colorado!

0 comments:

Post a Comment